Currently I'm reading: Jenseits vom Tatort by Horst Brandt

About Me

Followers

Add me

Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin Follow on Bloglovin

Page visits

Follow me on

Blog Archive

My Blog List

Powered by Blogger.

Peggy Farooqi is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk.

5 January 2014

Dystopian novels and how titles can be misleading

Title
Never let me go
Author
Kazuo Ishiguro
Publisher
Faber and Faber
Publication Date
01 January 2005 
Pages
282
Genre
Dystopian


Over the holidays, I came across the movie Never let me go, starring Keira Knightly. It somehow rang a bell with me… yes, of course, the book by Kazuo Ishiguro, published in 2005. I know that the book was very successful and there was a buzz about it at the time. But because of the title, I assumed it is a soppy romantic story, possibly incl a twist where the main character gets an incurable disease i.e. Love Story. You know the type. Well, of course, I was quite wrong. I have to say that I didn’t read any reviews of it at the time and just assumed ‘not for me’.

What a fantastic story and plot! No soppy romance here. Kathy, who is in her mid-twenties, tells her life story so far, including growing up in a boarding school. The realisation of what the boarding school and, in fact, what her whole life is about send shivers down my spine.  I just wish I had read the book first. Having seen film, of course now I know what the story is all about, which otherwise would have been revealed to me slowly in the book. I would have loved that. 


The book comes under the genre of ‘Dystopian’. What are dystopian novels? According to Wiki, they ‘describe the creation of an utterly horrible or degraded society'  and are linked to ‘Utopian novels’ or the Science Fiction genre. In the case of Never let me go, it talks about our world /time , but one which developed in a different way from the one we know. Other examples of dystopian books include 1984, Clockwork Orange and The Hunger Games.  I'm not sure if I would always subscribe to the fact that all dystopian societies (as described in literature) are 'horrible'. They are just different and who can say what should be a right or wrong society?